Monday, April 25, 2011

Guest Post: Christine of A Quiet Determination

So here it is ladies and gents... I was lucky enough to convince my good blogger friend and amazing photographer to take over for me while I'm on vacay... and she's all I hyped her up to be- trust me!

When Christine from Quiet Determination agreed to write for me, I just couldn't help but ask her to share some photography tips with us-- cuz, dude, this girl has mad skills. Here's what she has to say...

_______________________________________



The lovely and talented Lauren asked me to guest post while she is off on vacation.

Let's just pause for a moment.

Vacation.

Sigh....

Ok. Back to reality. I am incredibly honored as this will be my very first guest post experience and because Lauren asked me to share a photography tip with you. You know, cause I'm the greatest.

Kidding.

((I do that sometimes))

I've only been taking photography seriously for a little over a year now, and while there are still numerous ways in which I have to grow, there is one important tip I was forced to learn at the very beginning.

And that is what I would like to share with you.


The number one rule of photography:


Always have a camera in hand.


I know what you're thinking. That's it? That's your number one rule? Lame.

However, it is one of the toughest parts about being an amateur photographer. I know it was for me, anyway. It was awkward to have my camera around (and sometimes still is) and take pictures all the time. I mean, who was I kidding? Did I really know what I was doing?

No. But I did it anyways.

Let the camera become an extension of your arm. Literally. Ok, not literally. But you know what I mean.

If you're driving and you suddenly visualize an amazing landscape photograph, pull over.

Photobucket
{I may have hopped a few fences for this one, too}

Have an event to go to? Bring that sucker along for the fun.

Photobucket
{I had to sneak my camera in. Hmm... I promise I'm not promoting bad behavior. Sort of.}

The more you have your camera around your friends and family, the more comfortable they will become in front of it. Which will ultimately lend itself to better candid and natural shots.


Photobucket

Photobucket

And hey, let's not forget... it's just plain fun to have more photos, right?


Photobucket

Photobucket

In other words:

Snap away my good friends, snap away.

_____________________________________

So lesson learned. 'Snap away', take lots of photos, and most importantly: go visit Christine at her awesome blog:
A Quiet Determination. She also has an Etsy shop where she sells her photography. I drool over her shots. Am-ay-zing.


Talk to you all soon, can't wait to fill you in on the trip!
Photobucket

18 comments:

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Noted. :) I carry my digital point and shoot around, but leave my big ole Nikon at home. The more time goes on the more I think I might lug around the nikon just so I'm guaranteed a decent shot.

Pretty pics! I love both these blogs!

Abby said...

WOw, love your photos and I completely agree with your number one rule. I try to ALWAYS have my cannon s95 with me. It's small enough to not be cumbersome and I always am happy to have it with me.

k said...

I love photography and these tips are definitely good ones!

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

Great job Christine. Wise words! Most people don't like lugging a big camera around, which is why they don't get the good shots!

Unknown said...

Loooove Christine's photorgaphy!! what a great tip too - couldn't agree more (:

Gentri said...

Love it. :) Great tips! Beautiful photos!

christine donee said...

Thanks so much for letting me invade your blog, Lauren! Hope you're having a wonderful vacation!

iheartkiwi said...

I love this!

I always feel a little awkward hauling around my big SLR but I am trying to be better about it. You've inspired me lady!

P.S. That last photo is seriously breathtaking.

Gloria Zaytsev said...

Great tips!
Im a follower now! <3

http://gloriousdaisies.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

RIGHT ON, Christine! Sometimes it's a pain to lug around the "big" camera but when I get that AMAZING shot it's SO worth it. Plus, it keeps us practicing, which is what we newbies need to be doing anyway :) Also, it justifies purchasing a stylish camera bag if you're afraid of looking too awkward.

Thanks for the post. You did a fantastic job.
xoxo,
k

Gertrude said...

Great post! And great tip as well, I'm starting to carry my camera everywhere I go and trying not to care if I look stupid haha :) xo

Unknown said...

wow, great photos!! <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Such great advice! It really does feel awkward to ALWAYS have your camera out, but i realize that I do get better pics when I am bold and use it all the time. Haven't done that in awhile...

Brenda said...

Definitely good tips!:) I agree; carrying your camera with you at all times is an important aspect to photography. Sometimes when I'm driving home, I'll see the prettiest sunset and I'm like "dang, I wish I had my camera!"

Very cool, informative post :) (& thanks for your comment Lauren!! It made my day!)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog! I really appreciate it :)
And this is a wonderful guest post, although I do feel a bit awkward taking my camera everywhere xD

Renisha said...

nice blog you got here

--kisses ♥


do checkout mine..& follow if you like
http://glamorousbarbie7.blogspot.com/

Diana Mieczan said...

What a fantastic post and I love all those tips! Wish you both a great day, kisses

Ps: I’m hosting an awesome swimming suit GIVEAWAY later today! Just in time for summer!

Bree said...

Makes sense-the more you have it with you and the more you use it, you become more comfortable and obviously with more practice, you get better! I'm still a bit shy busting out my camera, but my boyfriend has no problem taking pictures anywhere :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...