This weekend my dad mentioned to me, "your mom commented this week that I haven't ever made a cake for her... Could you help me?"
He is so sweet. My mom does a lot for this family, and he recognizes it every day. So, 4 days after her birthday, he baked her a birthday cake-- while I coached.
For the extra challenge, we made it gluten free! I have an allergy to gluten, so it's a treat when I can eat these normally wheat-stuffed desserts.
Here is the recipe. Amongst these directions, insert "wow, I didn't think it would be this easy", and "your mom will like this!" as thrilled comments from Pops.
***

Gluten Free Angel Food Cake for Mom
1 cup gluten free flour ( We used Bob's Red Mill GF flour, but any mix of GF flours will do)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
12 egg whites, room temperature (to maximize volume of egg whites)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Separate egg whites in a stainless steel bowl and let them come to room temperature.
In a separate medium bowl, sift gluten free flour, salt, xanthan gum, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Beat until the egg whites form soft peaks. Beat in the other reserved 3/4 cup of sugar about 3 Tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Slowly fold in flour mixture about 1/4 cup at a time. Once the flour mixture is combined, fold in the vanilla. Slowly pour the batter into a tube pan (preferably one where the inside lifts out) and spread the batter evenly.
Run a knife through the cake to eliminate any air bubbles. Bake for 50-55 minutes until top is golden and sides begin to pull away. Cool for 10 minutes. Run the edges of a knife along the pan and pull out the insert to the tube pan. Run a knife along the bottom of the insert and invert onto a cake plate. Serve with topping of choice!
...And enjoy with one happy momma!

recipe found here









29 comments:
Omgosh, that is so sweet!
AW!! That is the sweetest! :) So cute! I love when my dad does extra sweet things for my mom- especially when he comes up with them on his own. He's been really good at that lately. haha!
I'm having an awesome giveaway on my blog right now and would LOOOOVE it if you entered! :D
Aw this is really cute, especially your dad! That is the sweetest thing ever. and that cake looks really good too. I have a thing for cakes, i love trying out different types. Thanks for the recipe. (:
Aww, your pops is so cute!! Love that he wanted to bake just for her. Sounds like something my dad would do :)
Your parents are adorable! Hope you had a wonderful weekend, my dear.
xoxo
This is so sweet - and so nice of you to help him! The cake looks delish. Have you ever used Coconut flour? It's a really yummy gluten free flour option!
aw so sweet! i have been meeting more and more people lately who need gluten-free foods. it's something i had never thought about before, but i'm trying to find more recipes like this, that everyone can eat. thanks for sharing!
That is just too adorable. What a great recipe too!
How Sweet!! Awww..what a lovely Dad. And what are you doing for Father's Day :)
Aww how sweet of your dad to ask for your help in making your mom a cake! I just love that. He looks so proud, and your mom looks so happy. I hope you all enjoyed every single bite of it... yum!
this looks so yummy! ❤
Your parents are adorable! That was really sweet of your Dad. (btw, the cake looks great!) I usually buy it already made at work... along with strawberries and whipped cream ^.^
I'm going to pass this along to my friend who is gluten free! Thanks for sharing it!
:) anna
teeheehee so cute
That looks so tasty! I love angel food with strawberries and whipped cream...
That is soo sweet. Sounds like you have wonderful parents.
And gluten free. I will need to keep this filed for my coeliac friends :)
I love finding good glutten free receipes as alot of my friends are intolerant. Thanks for sharing.
oh that seriously is the sweetest thing!
okay, 1: a most excellent cake choice. I am drooling because it is one of my favourites but am trying to stay in a health kick!!
2. thank god I saved my husband from all that time of not baking a cake. last week I said listen, we both want the apartment cleaned, but I have some potluck cupcakes to make. so how about I clean and you bake? he agrees but I swear I had to walk him through every step and hw kept saying "I'm sorry! I've never done this before!!"
check this out: it was a premade box mix came! dearie me...
Oh how yummy!!! I love angel food cake!!! Will have to try! And oooh are you following via bloglovin haha I have no idea who my followers are on there lol. Have a great day!
Ashley Sloan
So sweet of your dad to do! Looks like ya'll made a great cake!
Ah. Yes! I've been wanting to do more gluten free things.. this is great!
I'm totally stealing this from you. Muahahahaha.
Wait, is that ok?
woot thank your for sharing the recipe with us, happy (late) birthday to your mom!
That looks great! Thanks for sharing!!:)
Angel food is my FAVORITE!! I make lil angel food muffins all the time for a quick on the go snack!
Happy Wednesday Darling! xo
Angel food is my FAVORITE!! I make lil angel food muffins all the time for a quick on the go snack!
Happy Wednesday Darling! xo
Oh, yum! I will definitely have to try this. And what a sweet dad! : )
xo,
Sarah
this looks divine. thanks for sharing! I will totally be following your blog :)
How cute!!
It looks super delicious too. I'm definitely going to have to try it!
x Jasmine
yum! that cake looks delicious! :) I have angel food cake every year for my birthday! yum.
thanks for following my blog! your comments were so nice.
I just saw on your "about me" page that you are an elementary school teacher! that is soo neat! I have wanted to be an elementary school teacher my whole life, so I always find it exciting to see people who are!
(I'm a senior in high school) :)
have a great week! :D
megan
Post a Comment