Bear with me on this post. I have faced a big ‘ol fork in my road this past week, and as much as this is a blog post about it, it’s also a journal entry for myself;
writing helps me sort my world out.
It’s a long one dudes, feel free to carry on, or not.
{This is for me, and for you, too, if you’d like.}
_____________________________________________________
Maybe. Maybe not.
In the last couple years this statement has seemed to be my catch phrase. In fact, if instead of a middle name, my name should have a subtitle
Lauren Catherine: Maybe, Maybe not.
It’s not that I don’t commit to things. Nope- when I choose to do something I’m ALL in. But in this wonderfully daunting young-adult stage of life, I find there is an amazing (read: scary) chance that has been given to me to make choices regarding how the manuscript is going to be written.
And, turns out, the author doesn’t always listen to what I want, or think I want.
Sometimes I say “maybe” and the world gently answers “maybe not”.
…and I continue on and try to find the balance between it all.
The whole development of it, on one hand, excites me: I get to choose what my life includes. As a kid, my whole bookshelf was filled with “choose your own adventure” novels. But all of a sudden, when I tumble in as the protagonist of those novels and the adventure I’m picking is my life, it seems a bit heavier.
This year, after returning from a backpacking trip I fell nicely into an amazing job that has allowed me to save up for my future. Furthermore, it has opened my eyes up to a lot more of adulthood: responsibility, being authoritative, and having confidence in my decisions. I will walk away from this job with many more “tools” in my “toolbox”.
As amazing as those tools are, they just don’t fit right in the molding the toolbox was pre-made for. My toolbox has places prepared for tools like empathy, listening, teaching, and learning.
I have a university degree as an elementary school teacher: and I’m sure I will love it and embrace it eventually. But to tell you the truth, I’m still a little scared to endeavor the responsibility and commitment of affecting 30 kids lives every day. I’m still feeling young and transient.
More importantly, the words “Maybe. Maybe not.” probably should not be a token phrase when teaching children.
Before I settle down into a permanent job and life, I want to figure out more of those ‘maybe’s” out… at least into “probably’s”. I probably know what I want, I probably know what I’m doing. Yes, that has a better ring to it.
(but oh, please, world… let there be a few good maybe’s around every corner, it keeps me on my toes.)
Up until now my maybe’s were pretty straight forward. I probably will graduate from university as a teacher, then probably I will go backpacking… then maybe I will work for a bit to fund my dream of a Masters program in Rehabilitation Sciences…
Last Monday the world dropped a big “maybe NOT” in my path.
Turns out I am 0.03 away from the GPA they are currently accepting into Occupational Therapy.
Damnit, I knew I shouldn’t have partied that one night before that one paper was due, then pulled an all-nighter to get it done. Getting an A instead of an A- on one little assignment would have really helped out with the 0.03 and got me that acceptance letter. Hmph. :)
Since Monday I’ve frequently been given the advice “when one door closes, another door opens". At first, I wanted to slam that door in those advisor's faces. But now… I guess I realize that piece of advice has to be true, because I’m sure as heck not going to stay trapped in a room with all the doors closed. In fact, if I have to, I’ll cut a hole in the roof to get out.
Maybe. Maybe not.
So… a door was closed for this year. Turns out, a door opened sooner than I thought.
I have an opportunity to substitute teach in Australia. Short, or long term, whatever suits my timeline. Starting in September.
So…
Maybe Yes: this might just be the perfect situation to tackle my inhibitions of teaching, while fulfilling my appetite to travel.
Maybe Not: how totally scary! I’d be going to Australia alone. I’d have to leave my family and friends. I’d have to do long distance with my boyfriend for my time away. I’d have to navigate my way in a totally foreign city and culture!
Maybe.
Maybe not… but maybe!
In a helpful moment this week, I came across this quote:
"They came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good & true things they would do someday."
— Brian Andreas
I am ravenous for adventure. I’m not sure what that adventure will be yet, or where the “maybe & maybe not’s” will take me.
But, I do know I’d like to dangle my feet off a few more edges of this world, explore, and do good and true things.









32 comments:
hehe first .. your photos are what got me to read that.. sooo pretty!
i know how you feel about the toolbox...i think with every job we hold (or any experience) we'll gather tools and we may not know how the heck we are going to use them in the future.. but i think eventually they'll come in handy, even if we don't know how exactly.
Agh, that is such a pain.. being that tiny bit away from the grade you needed. Very awesome about the Australia opportunity though.
good luck with your decision!
Maybe. Maybe not.
I say this all the time. See, I knew we'd be great friends.
What an amazing opportunity you have! And no matter your decision, it sure has to feel good to have it come your way.
Personally ((since I'm all about travel and adventure)) I say go for it. But that's just me wanting to live vicariously through you... how great to be at a time in your life when you have the freedom to do such a thing. At some point, a job that ties you down, a family, a home.. things like that prevent us from just picking up and running away onto something fun and exciting. But right now? You've got freedom and endless opportunity just knocking on your door.
Oh. And if you do decide to go, can I visit? Maybe? Maybe not?
The owner of the dance studio I teach at (and a long time friend and someone who has taught me my entire life- dance and life skills) always says "you can do hard things". I have to remember that a lot. Because sometimes If you don't take risks you'll end up doing nothing just because you're scared. I do this far too often. So MAYBE this is the perfect opportunity for you and will be EXACTLY what you need! Leaving your family will be hard, but family will always be there for you. I can understand the bf part being complicated though. So I'll leave that for you to figure through. :) But you are wonderful and will be able to make the best decision for YOU!
I know I commented already, but I wanted to let you know that I have given you a lovely award over at my blog today! Hope you hop over to accept it!!
Well at least if you come to Australia I'll be here(ish) to help you!
Carla xx.
www.carlabear.blogspot.com
australia sounds great! scary but so adventurous:)
i wouldn't worry about leaving friends and family behind for some time. they'll always be there for you. (ok, some friends might disappear - my own experience - but the best will stay).
the long-distance boyfriend part, though, is definitely worth a lot of thinking and discussing with the BF himself.
good luck with whatever you decide!
What an amazing opportunity! Sounds like you have some hard thinking to do ;)
This is a great post Lauren - I've had discussions about this stuff with so many of my friends lately - it's such a hard age and time of life we're in because it doesn't feel like full "adulthood" yet in that we're not totally "settled down," but we're definitely not kids anymore. I"m sure you'll make the right decision, and more importantly, I'm sure either decision you make will bring even more open doors. I'm sending you encouraging vibes! :)
Don't worry about the maybe, maybe not feeling. I STILL have that feeling and I'm 29. It took me three years to figure out I wanted to go to law school and now I'm thinking, "maybe not?" and thinking about other career options too!!
Sounds like you have an amazing opportunity! As scary as it is, all my friends who've made a big change and moved to another country have never regretted it. I, on the other hand, never did that and I wish I did. Plus, it'll be difficult at first but at least you would be somewhere where they speak a language that you know and the culture is not that incredibly different from ours. I've had friends decide to pick up and move to Spain, Italy, Russia, etc. and even they have said it was absolutely worth it. Sounds like you've got some thinking to do! :)
very good post :)
This is a great post.
Coming from the mindset of a 33-year-old mom of three, who never travelled, I say DO IT.
these pics are so lovely, i love the one of you standing on the rock
oh Lauren, good for you on keeping tabs on this sitch and writing it all down (including us along the way!). life does get "heavy", our stories always changing but developing your key components and deal breakers are important parts to help in those times.
doubt means don't and we all know what a good, solid resounding YES feels like! it's the gage to base all of these kinds of choices on. gut instincts girl, you know it. good for you on going towards your destiny with open eyes, i think this opportunity is mighty cool and wish you all the very best when it comes to finding an answer. exciting times indeed and lades, the way you wrote this was so perfectly formed and a joy to read. i like the way you lead me along the word path. gorgeous photo accompaniments too - many blessings! xo ♥
do it! travel anywhere and everywhere!!! i want to travel australia too
Wow that sounds like an amazing opportunity - how exciting! But definitely scary too. Good luck with the big decisions that are coming your way - I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
Congrats! What a wonderful opportunity! I can't wait to follow your adventure.
xo,
Sarah
Good luck with whatever you do! Very good opportunity and good luck in the future :) really loved reading this post! Thanks for sharing :)
x
What a fabulous story your life is :)
I somewhat dislike that phrase "when one door opens, etc. etc." Not because it is or isn't true, but because for me it doesn't capture all the in-between-ness that makes life so interesting and complicated. Sometimes the limbo becomes the reason to be creative and search for beauty. It's not JUST another door. ;)
Can't wait to see/read where all this take you. Exciting stuff! Scary stuff! You go, girl! :)
k
Do it! Studying Abroad is such a great experience! Granted I was only there for 2 weeks, but I went and student taught in the Dominican Republic and I had a blast. I love learning about new cultures and seeing how other people live across the world. It would be an amazing opportunity.... and why not?
I do the same thing by the way.... I want to do EVERYTHING so everything is a "maybe" when I may not physically be able to do it in the end.
Loved this post. Don't you love life's little adventures?
Thankyou for visiting :) Love this, i think you would never have to turn around one day and say 'what if'. How bad can it be? You can always go home if it dosent work out. And if it does work out. Well wow! xx
Go after that amazing opportunity, it is insane how awesome that would be! My grandparents went to Australia a few years ago and fell in love. Thank you about my blog, it was all Victoria :) she's pretty amazing.
- Miss.C
Go after that amazing opportunity, it is insane how awesome that would be! My grandparents went to Australia a few years ago and fell in love. Thank you about my blog, it was all Victoria :) she's pretty amazing.
- Miss.C
I studied aboriginal culture abroad in Australia 3 years ago and it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I met some wonderful people with whom I'm still friends with today. I traveled alone. It was my first time flying, and first time leaving the country. To this day, just the thought of me doing that all by myself terrifies me, but I did it and I'm so glad I did. I say seize the opportunity. If it doesn't work out, at least you can look back and say you tried and got to experience a new culture in the process. Good luck!
Oh my goodness! What an amazing opportunity life has thrown your way! I, too, believe that when one door closes, another opens. And if not a door, at least a window, right? ;)
I think it would be beyond wonderful to experience the OUTBACK...although, I agree, it would be a bit scary facing that journey alone.
I have no doubt you'll make a good decision for your future. You are awesome...and you can do ANYTHING!
beautiful photos, so great. good luck wrestling with "maybe". i think it builds character. <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com
Not yet, though I'm sure in a few years they'll be making their way back. They just loved the culture! We're the kind of laid back/surfer family and addicted to warm sunshiny weather.
Thank you for the follow! I can't wait to read more about your maybe's, I'm a little jealous, but eventually when I'm done with my degree I'll travel a bit as well :)
-Miss.C
Spectacular photos!
ok, one word. GO.
Oh my goodness, I will diiie of jealousy if you go. What an amazing opportunity. But also terrifying. But seriously you should go and then blog allll about it. I need vicarious travel.
Kayla
Freckles in April
What an amazing opportunity! You should definitely take it! I live in Australia and I can tell you, it's an amazing place to be :) Where would you be teaching?
x Jasmine
What an inspiring post... seriously! I've been struggling with similar issues.. such as trying to figure out what I want to major in. Teaching in Australia sounds amazing!! You should do it, it's such a great opportunity :)
P.S. The photos are great!
Oh gosh! I haven't stopped here in a while and I missed the most amazing news! I definitely think you should consider coming down this fork and heading to Australia! It would be a wonderful experience! I was toying with the idea of studying in Toronto next semester, but like you already wrote, I was scared to go alone, and leave everyone I love behind.
Where abouts would you be substituting if you were to take it? x
Post a Comment