Thursday, December 16, 2010

The start... of something wonderful?

So I’ve made a decision to push myself into this little place of transparency, to put these internal thoughts, events in my little life, and lessons I run into out of the table... Erm blog. because apparently blog is the new black*, and it looks fabulous on everyone.

I’m making the choice to risk these internal feelings i’ve been a bit bashful of in the past and recognize them as just, plain, me. To write to you and recognize the little things in life that make me smile, or sometimes not. To give a little window into my life- a life in the making- a life of figuring out this transition between a student, and a member of the “real [productive] life”.

I’ve recently made the jump- ok, been forced off the edge... into real life from the wonderful student life that stretched on from elementary, junior high, and high school on to the thrilling and sometimes messy adventure of university. 5 years later (Last June) i exited proudly with a Bachelor of Education that i am tickled to be part of, but scared to heck to actually put into use- to take that very adult step of impacting children’s lives. geez, I don’t even know what i want to do with my life... how am i supposed to lead a child to create their own future??
So, in escape, and what turned out to be a lesson of relaxation, i retreated for a 4 month backpacking trip to the beaches of the Greek Islands, the rich culture of Turkey, and the hiking trails of the Peloponese with the best friend a girl could ever ask for.

It was the time of my life, and caused me to step back and look at my life in Canada in a different way. In an appreciative way. I returned to Canada knowing that I wanted to be in my hometown in Northern BC and appreciate every little bit of what i was way too cool to appreciate back in the akward highschool years. To soak up that northern air, and the comfort of home, and know for sure how lucky i am. Along with moving home came the opportunity to go back to the summer job that I paid my way through University with: working at an open pit mine. Yes, going from my girly-lack-of-any-type-of-coordination self to an industrial setting. i just love it. i thrive in the non-stereotypical life of scraping grease, hanging out with mechanics, and dealing with the pressures of mining and production. Pure evidence that where you’ll go in life is so unpredictable. This year I folded up my laborer, greasy coveralls to go to the job available in the warehouse: shipping and receiving parts for the mine site and and filling part of the 12 hour day working part time lending the little knowledge i’ve earned to a Maintenance Planning position. Planning, coordinating, and doing all that it takes for the truck shop to carry out their preventative maintenance, and not so preventative maintenance on haul trucks, loaders, dozers... you name it. I don’t know why i love it so much - perhaps it’s the idea that people are able to surprise you. i like stepping out of the boundaries into a place of learning about transmissions, turbochargers, and oil changes. And isn’t getting a little dirty kind of fun?

Besides, life is meant to be lived by getting dirty and diving in. This blog is my way of getting a little dirty- digging back into the past, and expressing the present,. It may be a bit cathartic...maybe even uncomfortable at times...but i guarantee it will be pieced together with this beautiful present--with weeks full of life at the mine: haultrucks, dirt, paperwork, wrenches, and engine failures. To Weekends of life in this little northern town of mine: hiking, loving the comfort of home, enjoying friends and family, and trying to fit it all in. All of this--it tells of a great big beautiful story. With many choices and making of this life to come.

Making of my story. We each have our own stories. And, no matter what challenges we may be facing for the present moment, I'm always in awe at the idea that I get to create the story. And I've always liked adventurous stories*. So, that it will be. An adventure. So here it goes... wish me luck.

*modified from a blogger inspiration, thanks K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren! Welcome to the blog world. I entered into this world almost a year ago and have fallen in love with it. It's the perfect template to express what I am feeling and to help have some bit of documentation for our children to look back on one day. Plus there are some wonderful people out here in this little blog world. I look at life a bit differently now.

Good luck in the making of your story!

Corinne W said...

It's inspiring how you embrace life's unexpected turns.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...